A Small Warning

While Simon and I are doing this to keep our friends/family/acquaintences in the know and so that we can remember the experience - we know that a great many people forget the insane emotions that go through them at a time like this. They remember joy, nervousness and excitement but tend to forget things like annoyance, anger and exhaustion. This is also a little bit of an experiment for us as well as (hopefully) a bit of reality for someone else out there who wants a bit of a real play-by-play of the emotional rollercoaster of childbirth and parenting. ...granted, I know that my experience is only one...but hey...still worth trying.

That said, not all of this blog is going to be happy and shiny. There will be some real, raw emotions here and we're going to express them pretty openly. We hope that this doesn't make anyone feel as if we're in any way unhappy about the birth of our son or that we're somehow not excited or don't love him. For us, this is the reality of things that people don't really talk about or express. I think that is extremely important to remember.

We may use foul language. ...you're warned.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Wednesday - 4:30am

I'm supposed to be asleep, really...but my sinuses hurt.

I was thinking today that there are a few things that pregnancy just fundamentally changes no matter who you are. For example...

Psamanthe will attest to the fact that I was the kind of girl who would be mortified if anyone saw my calves or my upper arms...much less any MORE of my skin. If I weren't so easily overheated, I'd probably greatly enjoy a burqa for its concealing properties.

I have spent the whole day not only without underwear on but with my ass merrily hanging out for all to see...and I totally don't care. If a random person walked in right now, I might make a half-assed attempt to cover my butt, but that would be about it.

There comes a certain point where wearing underwear (and having to change clothes ten times in a day) just isn't worth keeping that last tiny shred of modesty. I used to be pretty mortified at the idea of pelvic exams or my doctors having someone else in the room with them when they did them. Now I'm like, "Do we have any students who want a LOOKSEE?!" ...okay, but less creepy exhibitionist...

I've just given up any sense of decently apparently. From what I hear, this is common...it's just yet another of the things I couldn't have imagined happening to me until it happened.

Apparently most women in second stage labour just want to be completely, unashamedly naked. See, I still can't see myself there...but on the other hand, I won't be surprised if it happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment